July is Lost Pet Prevention Month
July 04, 2021
- A family pet is lost every 2 seconds in North America
- 10 Million pets are lost per year
- 1 out of 3 pets will be lost in its lifetime
Losing your cat is every cat caregiver’s nightmare. How can you protect your cat?
Keep your cat indoors:
If you’d like your cat to experience the great outdoors safely, build a catio, install a cat proof fence, use a stroller or use a harness and leash.
Catproof your home:
- Make sure window screens are escape proof. Consider using wire shelving in front of the screen in the window track, a child gate in the window, or tear proof screen and fastening screen to window frame.
- Make sure screen doors are cat proof. Consider a metal screen door or improvise with pet doors in front of screen.
- If you have an interior door that goes to a utility or mudroom and then outside, use it as much as possible. If not, discourage your cat from going close to the door.
Increase chances of finding your cat should she get lost by:
- Fit your cat with a collar with ID
Finding your cat should she get lost:
Lost cat behavior is different for indoor only vs indoor/outdoor cats. If your cat gets out or doesn’t return home, remember the most important thing to do is to look for them. Here are more resources for finding a lost cat: